cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace Cisco WLC 5508 with Cisco WLC 9800

mnl1
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeking the best method to replace WLC 5508 that has AIR-CAP1602I APs connected to it with a WLC 9800-L with C9105AXI-A access points. The APs are in 32 separate physical locations so once the WLC 9800 is up I would replace the APs one location at a time. 

I need the WLC 9800 to have the same settings and SSIDs as the 5508 which has 4 SSIDs.

Thanks for help in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You first must review the WLC matrix to determine what code on the 9800's will support your access points.  I believe your 1602's are not supported on the 9800's.

Cisco Wireless Solutions Software Compatibility Matrix - Cisco

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You first must review the WLC matrix to determine what code on the 9800's will support your access points.  I believe your 1602's are not supported on the 9800's.

Cisco Wireless Solutions Software Compatibility Matrix - Cisco

-Scott

How do I determine what matrix to use it is quite a long document?

My Prime infrastructure is 3.4.0.0.348

>....How do I determine what matrix to use it is quite a long document?
  I agree it's no longer the most ideal document to use, basically lookup the access point model with find in the browser, and then check the airos or XE versions it can run under , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also, you can use this tool to help you with converting your configurations from AireOS to the 9800's.  Not all commands will transfer, so read the instructions and make sure you test.

WLC Config Converter (AireOS, IOS-XE) - Cisco Community

-Scott

ammahend
VIP
VIP

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Besides other advices once you are near production ready or already testing use the following procedure to review the 9800-L configuration :  Use  the CLI command  show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories and make corrections where need , all advisories red-flagged should  be corrected. 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card