Helpful
Replies

RF Grouping

Craig Le-Butt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've got. 4 WISM (1) 7.0.230.

6 of the controllers can see each other and one of these is selected as a leader.

The other 2 have formed their own rf grouping.

The RF GRouping name is the same for all 8 controllers and there are APs on all of these.

The controllers can all ping each other, the APs on the 2 can see APs the ones on the other controllers.

The only thing I can see is the management address for these 2 are not in the same subnet, don't know if that is a red herring.

Gone through ever setting and compared to another controller and these are all the same except for interface addresses.

Any help/hints are welcome

Cheers in advance

3 Replies 3

David Watkins
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Keep in mind that RF groups contain maximum limitations.  As of 4.2.99.0 this is a maximum of 20 WLCs or 1000 APs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70rrm.html#wp1097383

"For example, a Cisco WiSM controller supports up to 150 access points, so you can have up to 6 WiSM controllers in an RF group (150 access points x 6 controllers = 900 access points, which is less than 1000)."

Thanks for that David

I'll give that a look.

I've setup the controllers so there are no more than 75 APs on these at one time, setup so could lose 50% of WLAN, so there's only 670 ish on this site.

Cheers

We had a similar issue with our controllers. It turned out that we needed to mAe sure the access points from one controller could hear neighbor access points that are on the other controller. If they can not hear each other then they can be in different RF groups. At least that is what we were seeing. Try moving a few aps to different controllers.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card