cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming between an anchored RF domain and the native RF Domain

rhodrijenkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi have an unusual situation whereby a building is occupied by two separate companies who operate as a partnership.

The end result is that they have two separately managed RF domains (separate controllers and management staff).

However, staff from each company often move between the RF domains and still require access to their native network. I can use auto-anchor/guest tunnelling to advertise the foreign SSIDs in each situation. However, my question is; what happens to the end user session when they roam between the native RF domain to which they below and the foreign RF domain which uses a guest anchor? Also what happens in reverse, i.e. they authenticate initially via the foreign RF domain (anchored back to their native domain) then roam back into their native RF domain?

I think I stumbled on a white paper that described a similar situation once upon a time, but I cant seem to find it now. if anyone can point me towards some documentation that describes a similar scenario, I'd be very grateful.

Hope this is clear.

Cheers

Rhod

4 Replies 4

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

#Different RF domain do not form RF neighbor and will be considered as Rogues(both client and AP).

#No physical connection so no Mobility tunnel.

#Create common wlan + same RF domain, Mobility domain and physical connectivity between the building.

#What you're trying to do may not work/support. Because there could be an loop, however you could try for understanding.

#in auto anchor scenario the foreign1 and foreign2 will be mapped to different interface for the same wlan due to L3 anchor requirement on target controller, if you use the same interface then it won't tunnel rather it will switch locally and defeat the purpose.

#in Guest anchor scenario, anchor doesn't have APs on it, this way reverse traffic is avoided due to security reasons.

#With the above scenario we can introduce APs on it but there shouldn't be RF overlap. Usually this setup preferred for remote location and RF overlap is not expected between WLCs doing auto anchor.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi rhod,

i may not understood your scenario exactly but afaik RF groups have nothingto do with roaming. mobility groups are the groups that make roaming possible on different wlcs.

wlcs on same mobility domain can have clients roam fro one to another on same wlan. the mobility tunnel will carry the info from the new wlc to the original(anchor) wlc.

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

""snip""

Q. What is the difference between RF Groups and Mobility Groups?

A. Mobility Groups:

A Mobility Group is a group of WLCs in a network with the same Mobility Group name. It allows for seamless client roaming and WLC redundancy.

A Mobility Group is formed statically.

Radio Frequency (RF) Groups:

An RF Group, also known as an RF domain, is a cluster of WLCs for which Radio Resource Management (RRM) calculations are done on a whole. RF Groups also help you to discover Rogue APs.

An RF Group is formed dynamically. Refer to the Overview of RF Groups section of Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.0. for more information on RF Groups.

""snip""

reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_qanda_item09186a00809a30cc.shtml

having all wlcs on same mobility group the traffic will always be tunneled to the original (mobility anchor) controller.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

both are two isolated feature when they combined it gives different result.

Enabling roaming between two different RF group may work but not a good design due to rogues & power/channel calculated by different RF leader.

Mobility works even the Mobility group is different for Foreign & Anchor in guest anchor scenario without an issue, it works even between two foreigns with some exception.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card