cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming between AP's without WDS.

nerfherder77
Level 1
Level 1

How do you config AP's to roam to the strongest signal without using WDS?

I have 3 AP's in a warehouse, 2 - WAP321, 1 - WAP371. No domain services available, they are just standalone AP's with local SSID and key for authentication.

They have same SSID and Key. I have them on 3 different channels though, so they would hopefully 'pick' the strongest signal as a person got closer and would move to that AP. However I notice they don't move to the strongest signal they only move when they loose connection to the AP as they wander around the warehouse then the next closest picks them up. So even if a person wanders down to a 5Mbps link from the original connected AP they will stick to it even if there is a 72 Mbps link available, until the original connection is lost completely.

Any other suggestions or links to some reading would be very helpful.

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your devices seem to be sticky.  So in that case, you might have to look at tweaking the data rates and disabling the lower rates as long as the devices don't require the low data rates like 1mbps and 2mbps.  If you have more than envough coverage, you can leave 11mbps as mandatory and disable the lower rates.  Be careful with doing this if you are unsure of your current environment.  You need to test first by disabling 1mbps and 2mbps and see if the devices still connect.  keep in mind that the client devices are the one who control roaming, not the AP.  By changing the data rates, you can force them to make a decision faster than leaving the defaults.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the thoughts, it gave me a few more items to try.

I tweaked some of those settings, seems to of helped a bit. Still going to attempt a few more tests with some other settings as well.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card