Views
Helpful
Replies

Running several MSEs on the same infrastructure

Jerome Karter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Prime Infrastructure with one controller and one MSE used with WIPS license. I would like to add another MSE with CAS license, but I am not sure I can assign the controller to both MSEs.

So my question is : is there a way to run the two MSE on different modes with the same controller within the Interface ? Or using the CLI ?

Thanks

J.

2 Replies 2

So my question is : is there a way to run the two MSE on different modes with the same controller within the Interface ? Or using the CLI ?

Yes, you can. Simply configure NMSP between WLC & MSE. Refer below post on how to configure NMSP on your WLCs

https://mrncciew.com/2014/09/25/what-is-nmsp/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

Thank you for your answer. I read your blog and I have few more questions  :

1/ If I go in the Prime to "Services -> Synchronize Services -> Controllers”, select the controller & click “Change MSE Assignment”, I could then assign the same controller to two different MSEs as shown in the enclosed picture. If I return to the WLC in CLI and run the command "swho nmsp status" it would return two lines with the information for both MSEs, am I right ?

2/ I understood that I should have two MSEs if I want to run both CAS and wIPS from Cisco documentation : "From release 7.5 onward, wIPS service requires a dedicated MSE because it does not support CAS and wIPS on the same MSE". But in your blog you checked both options on the same MSE. Did I miss a point ? Or is it a recommendation for scalability or resource issue ?

3/ For troobleshooting NMSP communication, you set up the level of log at trace with the CLI command "set trace nmsp connection level debug". In the Prime Interface, one can set up the policy of logging in the "Advanced Parameters" tab, setting "Logging Level" at Trace and checking the Advanced Debug checkbox. Is there a problem letting the MSE running with such policy of logging ?

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card