Views
Helpful
Replies

Scan threshold value on WLC

g.ska
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I read the cisco documention about Wireless Lan controller and I'd like to understand the following sentence about the scan threshold:

"Now we have the scan threshold this is another RSSI value range. When the wireless client’s RSSI drops below this threshold the client will begin actively scanning for another access point it can receive a stronger signal from. Valid values range between -70 through -77."

If the roaming process is a client decision, could you explained me why this value is configured on the WLC? Is the value is pushed from controller to the client? If so, via which protocol?

Many thanks,

Greg.

2 Replies 2

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the Scan Threshold text box, enter the minimum RSSI that is allowed before the client should roam to a better access point. When the RSSI drops below the specified value, the client must be able to roam to a better access point within the specified transition time. This parameter also provides a power-save method to minimize the time that the client spends in active or passive scanning. For example, the client can scan slowly when the RSSI is above the threshold and scan more rapidly when the RSSI is below the threshold.

The range is –90 to –50 dBm.

The default is –72 dBm.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01100.html

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

The feature where you are talking about is only supported for clients with CCXv4 support and even then there is no guarantee that they are going to honer that setting...

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card