Views
Helpful
Replies

Schedule Transmission on Catalyst 9115

Bö0815
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am wondering if there are possibilities to schedule the transmission of WLAN on the Catalyst 9115. The documentation I found does not give any hints.

Reason for the question: I would like to switch off the transmission during sleeping time to have less radiation in the house (Clean air... :-)).

Does anyone know this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Search the community to shut switch port using EEM script, you will find many examples. Can be based on switch clock value. 
On a separate note I have 12-15 AP in my garage lab, had a similar concern, so I spoke to someone about it. Conclusion was that 2.4 GHz range does coincide with the frequency at which water molecules vibrate (that’s how microwave work to heat our food by vibrating water molecules) but the Max power of AP 1000 mW would not excite water molecules. But Again I totally agree it’s individual choice.

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Bö0815 wrote:

I would like to switch off the transmission during sleeping time to have less radiation in the house

Is the AP on Mobility Express? 

How strong is the 3G/4G/5G LTE signal inside the house?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-         Aligning with Leo , WiFi is not equal to 'radiation'.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Bö0815
Level 1
Level 1

Hi marce1000 and Leo Laohoo

the telephone signals are week. Nevertheless would be appreciated to keep the pulsed radiation as low as possible, at least throughout sleeping time. The sense of the measure / desire is individual judgement and no topic of discussion please.

Does the build in Controller of the Catalyst 9115 - am I right it's the Catalyst 9800? - support scheduling of the SSID's and / or the radios of the Catalyst 9115? Or is there another AP which has this feature build in?

Thank you in advance for any help

Kind regards

This is not a feature on the controller or access point. Why not use Automation to disable the SSID’s or shut down the port so that there is no power to the ap. Now you will have to research this part on your own to figure out how to do this. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

>...the telephone signals are week. Nevertheless would be appreciated to keep the pulsed radiation as low as possible,

The term radiation is often used in hazardous areas where there is radioactivity with X-rays, gamma rays , beta rays (stripped helium cores)  flying around. If  you classify wifi (signals) as 'radiation'  being moderate electro magnetic waves, then you must consider all light sources in your house as being radiation too (being electro magnetic waves) . The economics of trying to avoid it (time invest) is questionable, because you find wifi everywhere : bar, work, train , airport , sports-field, ....  Each second there are 100 billion neutrino's from the sun  passing through the tip of your finger. Now there is reasonable chance that some day one of them will change a neutron in one of the atom's of your body through the weak interaction.  All that being said, and you say : I still feel comfortable with the idea. Then you may do that , go to bed , even hiring a 'Cabin in the Woods' , but you may still ponder what to do about the signals from Elon's star-link satellites walking along with the stars above your head.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Pull the power cable to the AP at a set time.  

ACL will only stop the VLAN traffic but radios are still on. 

Time-based ACL can/will turn off the PoE power if coupled with EnergyWise but EnergyWise can only be found in Cisco switches.

Therefore, pulling the power cable (to the AP) is the only best solution.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

The simplest low-tech solution would be a timer socket.  They've been around for decades in supermarkets and hardware stores and now all over online, used for turning lights, pool filters. hot water cylinders and any number of other things on and off at certain times.  Just plug the AP into that and it will get powered on and off at the times of your choice.

ps: that's assuming you use a power injector not a POE switch port, but obviously you could simply apply the same to the switch itself if you are using one.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Search the community to shut switch port using EEM script, you will find many examples. Can be based on switch clock value. 
On a separate note I have 12-15 AP in my garage lab, had a similar concern, so I spoke to someone about it. Conclusion was that 2.4 GHz range does coincide with the frequency at which water molecules vibrate (that’s how microwave work to heat our food by vibrating water molecules) but the Max power of AP 1000 mW would not excite water molecules. But Again I totally agree it’s individual choice.

-hope this helps-

Bö0815
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Thanks a lot to all contributions! This helps.

Kind regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card