Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sniffer mode bssid

KakaoTalk_20230601_223809299.png

I set the AP in sniffer mode.

As far as I know, sniffer mode does not broadcast beacon frames.

But in controller show ap wlan summary I see bssid.

Can you tell me why?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I guess it is due to AP got those profiles/tag assigned, in CLI that output displayed. But it should not broadcast any beacons if you put AP into sniffer mode.

Did you check taking a packet capture to see any beacons goes over the air

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses *** 

View solution in original post

Hi
When wlan is disabled, bssid can be seen with "show ap wlan summary" command

Thank you

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

As @Rasika Nayanajith mentioned, that "show ap wlan summary" command in the WLC shows the BSSID that has been assigned to the AP, but to check if the BSSIDs are been broadcasted or not you need to go to the AP's CLI and check with "show controllers dot11Radio [0|1] wlan" and see if the "radio/vap/ids" are there, or with "show capwap client detailrcb" if the BSSIDs are set. The 1st output is for an AP in Flexmode and Client serving, the second one for an AP in sniffer mode:

JPavonM_0-1685771094826.png

JPavonM_1-1685771224414.png

3 Replies 3

I guess it is due to AP got those profiles/tag assigned, in CLI that output displayed. But it should not broadcast any beacons if you put AP into sniffer mode.

Did you check taking a packet capture to see any beacons goes over the air

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses *** 

Hi
When wlan is disabled, bssid can be seen with "show ap wlan summary" command

Thank you

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

As @Rasika Nayanajith mentioned, that "show ap wlan summary" command in the WLC shows the BSSID that has been assigned to the AP, but to check if the BSSIDs are been broadcasted or not you need to go to the AP's CLI and check with "show controllers dot11Radio [0|1] wlan" and see if the "radio/vap/ids" are there, or with "show capwap client detailrcb" if the BSSIDs are set. The 1st output is for an AP in Flexmode and Client serving, the second one for an AP in sniffer mode:

JPavonM_0-1685771094826.png

JPavonM_1-1685771224414.png

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card