cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Some associated devices have no name on AP.

peter.yusuf
Level 1
Level 1

I just configured a new access point and noticed that alot of the devices dont have the computer name as the assosciated device. It's either set to the AP name or simply says none. Any ideas why and to fix that? I've attached an image for a bit of Clarity. i haven't used a WLC in this setup. 

Also the device type comes up as uknown. 

5 Replies 5

WiFi Trainers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Peter,

The 'Name' column refers to AP name that the client has got connected to and not the name of the client itself. So it basically displays if it is a CCX capable client or not under 'Device Type' and AP to which it is associated under 'Name'.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Learn from the Best To be the Best!

Join us on LinkedIn to get access to our free tech-talks and training resources!!!

Thanks for your response but it doesnt appear so. There are other devices which i blotted out that a Windows machines. Also the field to the right of it shows the assigned IP Address and further down the Mac address. 

It should be showing the device details so i can tell what device is connected to that particular access point. The info is from an access point and not a controller which might show all the access points it manages. Please see the new image i've uplaoded.

Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about this but logically, thats what it looks like to me. 

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the clarification. Pasting the entire output makes it clearer :).

A CCX client will send an Association Request including "Client Name" in the CCX field. Now if this is sent incorrectly this can happen. Can you check if there is a difference in CCX version between the working and non working client?

There should be no impact in the working of the client however.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Join us on LinkedIn to get access to our free tech-talks and training resources!!!

Thanks, how do i check this. I thought CCX clients are just Cisco compatible devices in this case the wireless card on the Laptop. 

If it helps, the laptop that displays the Computer name is an older model to the one that doesnt. And as you said, it shouldn't matter at all. 

Update. i checked the device details and the ccx version is 4 for the devices. See image

Hi Peter,

That is correct. CCX clients do more when connecting to Cisco infrastructure than non CCX clients. You should be able to use the command "show dot11 associations xxxx.xxxx.xxxx" which will give detailed info about the client and will have the CCX version as well.

This just might end up as a bug where the AP is either unable to extract the device name in the association request or the client may not be sending it :). Can be seen clearly when you take a sniffer capture of the client association request.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card