Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport Config - Trunk or Access?

david.kelsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just wondering if Cisco has any recommendations around whether to configure the switchport as a trunk or as an access port for Lightweight Access Points?

We've been running some LAPs connected to trunk ports and some connected to access ports and we can't really see any difference.

We're guessing that the trunk port will allow 802.1p values to be carried in the frame, where an access port won't.

Can anyone provide any clarification or recommendations around this for us?

Cheers,

Dave.

18 Replies 18

Leo,

LOL, yea my first few installs was trunks too ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I forget what code version the ap manager goes away, but you get the point.

The 5508 does not use AP-Manager. Optionally, you can have Dynamic AP-Manager.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Whenever you use LAPs in local mode, then is up to you to configure them on any access mode or trunk mode (with native VLAN other than VLAN 1 for security reasons).

If you use APs in flexconnect mode, again is up to you:

1. If you use just ONE locally forwarded WLAN (and AP shares same VLAN if the site is really small and don't make any sense to deploy subnets) then all traffic goes to the same VLAN so you can use access mode or trunk mode. BUT the best practice recommends to always use trunk ports in order to avoid issues like this have I discovered on the early stages of the C9800 codes, or any other future defect that could arise.
  2. If you have multiple WLANs mapping to different VLANs then trunk mode is a must.

HTH

I think it depends on flex mode connection with the local switch or central switch in the case of flex mode with the central switch you can configure as access but if  flex mode with local switch it must be configurated as trunk,that right? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card