cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TPC Power Transalations

nshoe18
Level 1
Level 1

With the newest version of code on the controller, I have seem to lost the power translation levels for the Transmit Power. We typically try to set the APs on controllers we deal to go no lower than 50%, Power Level 4. On the old 6.x version of code this was typically 11 for Minimum Power Level Assignment. Now it has to be between -126 and 126. Does anyone know which power level would equate to 50%?

I guess I could just figure out what 50% is of the -126 and 126, correct?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind on UNII2, UNII2E and UNII3 the out put is different depending on the channel..

UNII 1                                                 UNII 2 / 3

1 = 11 dBm / 12.5 mW                          1 = 17 dBm / 50mW
2 = 8 dBm / 6.25 mW                            2 = 14 dBm / 25 mW
3 = 5 dBm / 3 mW                                3 = 11 dBm / 12.5 mW
4 = 2 dBm / 1.5 mW                              4 = 8 dBm / 6.25 dBm

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Correct.  Sorry, I should have mentioned it wants a whole interger value.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IIRC, this is for setting the maximum and minimum power for RRM.  What you would want to do is convert the dBm 20,17,14 etc to the actual mW value.

20dBm = 100mW

17dBm = 50mW

14dBm = 25mW

11dBm = 12.5mW

8dBm =  6mW

5dBm =  3mW

2dBm = 1.5mW

-1dBm =  0.8mW

So, what you would want to set in those fields is the appropriate dBm/mW values.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so I will be setting the controller to be 12mW since it will not accept 12.5, correct? That looks like the number I want.

Correct.  Sorry, I should have mentioned it wants a whole interger value.

HTH,
Steve

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind on UNII2, UNII2E and UNII3 the out put is different depending on the channel..

UNII 1                                                 UNII 2 / 3

1 = 11 dBm / 12.5 mW                          1 = 17 dBm / 50mW
2 = 8 dBm / 6.25 mW                            2 = 14 dBm / 25 mW
3 = 5 dBm / 3 mW                                3 = 11 dBm / 12.5 mW
4 = 2 dBm / 1.5 mW                              4 = 8 dBm / 6.25 dBm

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

That's a very good point George. I overlooked that in our network and I'm phasing out the UNII 1 band on our APs. We can live without those four channels to increase our 5GHz range.

Yea, its those fine detals you know ...

I blogged about it here

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-labs/2009/10/30/what-you-need-to-know-about-tx-power-and-80211a-5ghz-on-a-ci.html