Views
Helpful
Replies

Two wireless controller questions

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

Q1. How two wism work redundantly together when the host 6500 switches are configured to operate in VSS mode? Are they still indepent two controllers or are they becoming virtually one?

Q2. Use one 5508 as primary and 2504 as a backup for a small site (with enough licenses on each), do you foresee any problems? Do I just configure mobility domain same as how I configure on two 5508? Never configured a 2504 before...

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Q1. How two wism work redundantly together when the host 6500 switches are configured to operate in VSS mode? Are they still indepent two controllers or are they becoming virtually one?

Two independent controllers.

Q2. Use one 5508 as primary and 2504 as a backup for a small site (with enough licenses on each), do you foresee any problems?

If the 2504 is going to be in the same site as the APs, then use the 2504 as the primary.

Thank you Leolaohoo. Can I ask why 2504 should be the primary?

If you have a wlc out at the site, that should be the primary in my opinion and that is what Leo is stating. Now you have to take in consideration during a failover, what will happen. If your APs are in local mode, the traffic will be placed on the interface that the WLAN is configured for. So this might mean that if APs fail from the wlc at the site to the 5508, devices will have to obtain a new ip address and vice Vera. If your APs are in FlexConnect mode, you can then define the WLAN to SSID mapping and during a failover, the FlexConnect AP will keep the SSID to VLAN mapping. There is much more that you need to make sure of, but that's what I have in a nutshell.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for the document Saravanan

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

2504 GUI look similar to 5508, only difference is 2504 doesn't have certain features.

Mobility domain configuration is simialar if both WLCs on same or different location for all platform.

Are you using both 5500 & 2500 wlc on same location or not.

Are AP on local or hreap mode.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card