Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 8510 WLC

hahihe75
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody

I want to upgrade FUS (Field Upgrade Software) & Software OS for two 8510 wireless controllers in cluster with HA AP-SSO enabled and I need some information.

Here the information about the Software OS and FUS

>show boot
Primary Boot Image............................... 7.5.102.0 (default) (active)
Backup Boot Image................................ 7.4.100.0

>show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 7.5.102.0
RTOS Version..................................... 7.5.102.0
Bootloader Version............................... 7.4.100.0
Emergency Image Version.......................... 7.4.100.0

First question : Why on 8510 controller I find Emergency Image Version where as on 5508 controller I find Field Recovery Image Version ? What's the difference ?

Second question : On Cisco's website I found two news FUS release, 1.10.0.0 & 2.0.0.0

1.10.0.0 => http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_1_10_0_0.html

2.0.0.0 => http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus-rn-20.html  

Should I make an upgrade to the last 2.0.0.0 version directly or should I make an upgrade to intermediate 1.10.0.0 version then pass to 2.0.0.0 version ?

Should I push the firmware upgrade to the active controller only or on active & standby controllers ?

I was thinking about this action plan:

- Upgrade FUS to 2.0.0.0 directly or to =>1.10.0.0 => 2.0.0.0

Then

- Upgrade sofware OS from 7.5.102.0 to 8.0.133.0 directly.

Correct me if I'm wrong ?

Thank in advance for your help !

2 Replies 2

hahihe75
Level 1
Level 1

I found some information about my question.

- I can upgrade directly to FUS 2.0.0.0 version.

- I can upgrade to 8.0.133.0 directly

Concerning the FUS upgrade, I found this :

The FUS image can be upgraded while the controllers have HA enabled.
The secondary controller will get upgraded just like it does when upgrading the regular code. However,  when you initiate the reboot on the primary controller both controllers will be unreachable  until the FUS upgrade completes on both the active and the standby in the HA pair.
This process will take around 30 to 40 minutes to complete just like in a non-HA FUS upgrade

If I push the FUS image on primary controller, Do I have to wait until the primary controller push the image to the standby controller and after that I restart the both controller or else once the image is pushed on the primary controller I can restart the both controller directly ? 

Regards.

- The process is automatic (in the sense that that the FUS gets propagated to the standby controller during (global) installation). Restart will reboot both controllers

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card