cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 2.4 and 5ghz channels on 1240 access point

mbluemel
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking into upgrading a customers wireless network and they are looking at using a few 1240 access points for both internal and external connections. Their question is can one access point support both channels simultaneously? They would like to connect an antenna on the inside of the building on the 5ghz channel and another externally on the 2.4ghz channel. Has anyone done this and if so was it succesful?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really a good thing. You are forcing clients to maybe drop when they roam from inside to outside and vice versa. First off you would need to have all devices support both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Now would I do something like this... No way. You are better off using a single 1240 to handle both bands and not split them. I would think it might work, but not 100% and client issues would cause you to do a redesign and go back to the correct way of setting up wireless.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott. Thanks for the quick reply. OK if we use both bands on the same access point I then have the problem of dual band antennae. If you have some thoughts on that they would be much appreciated.

I don't know what you mean. You would need to eithe use the dipole rubber duck antennas or use another Cisco antennas that are dual band or one for each radio. What I'm trying to explain is that one 1242 should either cover inside only using bit the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz and another 1242 to cover the outside. Now what antenna you use is up to you. It would depend on how your mounting the antennas and or the APs. For indoor, you typically see AP's with internal antennas built in like the 1131.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card