Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vulnerabilities of a cisco WLC WLC 2504

Hello a client just had their network checked and had a report with the next vulnerabilites:

• Vulnerability of brute force, the page does not perform user locks even doing more than 10 attempts to enter with wrong password
  • Denial of service through HTTP attack (Apache server)
  • Options mode is enabled in the Apache server
  • Vulnerability in SSL certificate, must generate a new certificate with encryption sha-256 or higher
  • Support of weak encryption algorithms must eliminate Arcfour ciphers

Is there anyway to remove these? 

Thank you

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That depends, which software release are they running on the controller -> can they run a more recent release -> can they then verify the security checks again .... ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

They are running the software version Release 8.0.152.0, and yes they can do an upgrade and verify de security checks again, but first they need to know which new release to put on the device.

Upgrade first and do the security check next. 

Another thing, the people who are doing the vulnerability testing should be able to provide the CVS number of said vulnerability.  

Firmware version isn't just the cause.  For example, there could be possibility that the controller isn't really configured properly for security.  So reading the Best Practices could be another solution.

NOTE:  Cisco's products are constantly subjected to security testing by organizations not affiliated to Cisco.  If they find something, Cisco gets notified. 

Keith Miller
Level 1
Level 1

The first vulnerability on the list could be mitigated by enforcing a user lockout if this is a local management user:

If it's through LDAP, then the lockout policy would need to be configured there.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card