cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC first time download

J R
Level 1
Level 1

I have just purcahsed my first Virtual Wireless Lan Controller & i'm trying to obtain the software (Virtual Machine OVA).

I thought it would just be a matter of registering my new PAK, which would entitle me to download. Howerver when trying to register the PAK, it asks me for a Product ID/Serial number of the VM. I know how to obtain these from the Virtual Machine, but how can i do this if im not yet entitled to download the VM !

Am i missing something ?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to install the ova first. When you have it up and you can ssh to the vWLC.

On the CLI of the vWLC, issue the show license udi and that will get you the udi of the vWLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, but how do i download the OVA as i'm not entitled to it.

To gain entitlement, i need to regsiter my PAK which i cant do without the OVA .

You need to contact entitlement. You need that device associated to your CCO.

-Scott

J R
Level 1
Level 1

So after 2 days i was finally able gain access to the software i needed. None of this could be done online, i had to call/email cisco. What i ended up having to do was:

-Email ent-dl@cisco.com, who then arranged for a one off download of the ova file

-Intalled the OVA, so i could generate my serial number.

-Attempted to regsiter the PAK online, but it now stated my serial number was invalid.

-Email licensing@cisco.com, with my PAK + Serial number who then generated my lic file.

Is this normal for Cisco ? Why make things so difficult for the end user ?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Haha... You get use to it... Well I did at least. I have had issue with Prime Infrastructure for the longest but now it's easy as pie. Licensing is pretty fast though so I don't mind getting them involved. At least you have it up and running.

-Scott

And would you believe after all this i'm still not entitled to download the vWLC software directly. Oh well more emails to get me assosiated with my valid contract.

I'm having the exact same issue and just came out of an unproductive hour-long discussion with support none the wiser. I'd be at a dead-end if I hadn't found your post.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card