Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Backup

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

dear all

i have wcs spftware installed on windows server 2003 now i want to take its backup on my laptop to install it on another server, i already found books to do that from cisco's site but really i could not do that,

please share with me how i can take its backup on my laptop step by step and how i can install it on another server step by step?

thanks

5 Replies 5

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the start menu, in the WCS folder, you have a "backup" application that you can run in order to save a backup. As simple as that :-)

thanks for your reply Nicolas

after taking the backup in that way you told me and the output that i ll get should i use the same file to install it to the other windows server for working properly

what about the data that i ahve allready in the WCS will that be deleted after doing that or i need to take its backup first if yes than how i can take its back and how i will import that back up file in the new installed WCS again ??

Taking a backup doesn't delete any data.

Take that backup file to the new WCS server (I assume you already installed WCS there).

In the same start menu you will find "restore", give it the backup file.

Boom, the new WCS is now containing the same config,reports and info as the old one.

thank you for your reply Nicolas

actually what i want to do is that i have not any wcs software to install on other server so what i have to do i need to download or take backup not of just configuration but wcs software as well and there i have some configuration also in that server implmented on the existing wcs so i need that configuration also back to reconfigure it or upload it in the new wcs that i want to download and install in other server.

(i appreciate your reply first but in that ur answer it seems to be that you are just worte about to upload the configuration backup file in the other installed wcs server)

one more small question plz

can i download any wcs demo version from cisco website with free user account?

your reply will be very appreciated.

I misunderstood then.

What you want is apparently take an image of the Windows Server with current applications and restore it on the new server.

I'd advise to go for dedicated tools. Norton Ghost ?

I didn't do this operation recently and don't know the latest tools. It would restore windows in the exact same state and WCS also in the exact same state.

For your other question, WCS can be downloaded anyway but needs a license to add a controller to manage. I don't know more details about this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card