Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS switch port tracing using SNMP v3

jintao99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I introduced a rogue AP in our test environment to try out the switch port tracing feature in WCS. But the tracing always says "not found" even I can see the MAC showed up in the switch port.

I think it's related to my SNMP v3 setting, however not sure how to configure it.

In WCS manual, it says "For Switch Port Tracing to successfully trace the switch ports using SNMP v3, all of the OIDs should be included in the SNMP v3 view and VLAN content should be created for each VLAN in the SNMP v3 group."

Can someone give me an example of the view definition and how to create Vlan content for each Vlan?

Here is our standard SNMP v3 config:

snmp-server group EVDNv3group v3 auth read EVDNVIEW write EVDNVIEW
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW iso included
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW internet included
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW internet.6.3.15 included
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW internet.6.3.16 included
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW internet.6.3.18 included
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW ciscoMgmt included
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW internet.6.3.18.1 included
snmp-server view EVDNVIEW ciscoMgmt.252 included

Thanks,

Tao

1 Reply 1

Tao,

First I would recommend you to go over the "Switchport tracing" learning module posted at: http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/wcs/training/demos/spt/switch_port_tracing.html - This is a very good VoD.

Now for the Siwtch port tracing (SPT) to work, the mac address of the Wired and wireless cards should differ by +/-1.

Enable the debugging (Administration > logging> Set the Message level to trace, remove the check box next to Monitor, Faiult Analysis, Navigator, Mobility services engine) Click Save. )

Now run the SPT. Goto Administration > Logging and click download. Open the logs folder and look for the file wcs-0-0.log. Open this in Notepad++. Search for the word "Error" in that file.

That should give you a good idea on what is happening.

If you have trouble figuring out the issue, upload the debug logs as a zip file and password protected. Send me a private message with the password.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card