cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Weak Signal using AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 and AIR-ANT24120 12dbi Antenna

lee_connell
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup the above hardware and have the antenna mounted high in an RV campground about 100 x 50 yards. It does happen to be right along a river, which I know water does effect the signal. Anyways the signal is not very strong, especially inside the RV's.  I know these have a sheet metal exterior which also effects the signal.  I have seen other campground setups and they did not seem to have the trouble I am having.  I am running 2.4Ghz 802.11G on channel 6. Only one antenna and configuration is setup to send and recieve from that one antenna, i.e, not using diversity. I have not changed any of the default output power settings or anything like that. This is all line of sight, big open area where RV's are located. Is the 12dbi omni antenna just not strong enough for this? What settings could I possibly change in the AP to troubleshoot this to get a better signal throughout? I am also using a 20ft low loss cisco cable.

AP1242AG-A-K9:

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2Fen%2FUS%2Fproducts%2Fps6521%2Ftsd_products_support_configure.html&ei=Jl3ATd60MMSXtweAoeWkBQ&usg=AFQjCNGzaATzQCCMlNiyWYUX94qUy1MAXw&sig2=7P9HeFCZ-xQDp3CET_DR1Q

ANT24120:

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2Fen%2FUS%2Fproducts%2Fhw%2Fwireless%2Fps469%2Fprod_installation_guide09186a0080148acf.html&ei=TV3ATdGNNY6itgfpn5SvBQ&usg=AFQjCNHiIzE3Tff6OVhgDLnDnd_v4VoGqQ&sig2=LhWt8CLqozS9iheL4ZFtEA

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the 12dbi omni antenna just not strong enough for this?

The AIR-ANT24120 is classified as an "Outdoor midrange point-to-multipoint applications".  Have you seen the vertical signal footprint?  It wasn't design to be a "service" antenna.  It's design to shoot wireless signal from one to another/others.

Ok.  So let's presume that it may have worked in other places.  The antenna has a maximum gain of 12 dBi.  Powerful ain't it?  It sure is.  But what about the clients?  What is the power of their WLAN cards?  You'd be cheering if some of them can come near to even 4 dBi.  Some cheap cards simply have 2.2 dBi.  Not enough strength for the 1242 AP to hear the return signal.

Okey dokey.  Let's talk alternatives.  So what can you do?  For starters you need to put some more AP.   Look at the AIR-ANT4941 or AIR-ANT2422D.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card