Views
Helpful
Replies

What impacts has the extension of WPA Handshake timeout

mtu_net02
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks,

we use barcode scanner via WLAN. Unfortunately I have trouble with the authentication of the WLAN clients. The manufacturer of the barcode scanner recommended that I should extend the WPA handshake timeout to 2000 ms.

All the APs in our network are managed by WLAN controller. My investigation shows me that the EAPOL-Key Timeout is already set to 1000 ms. This value is set on all APs which are managed by the controller. I have other SSIDs and applications running via WLAN. I looked for a description about the impacts of the extension of the WPA handshake timeout. But I couldn't find any.

Has anybody here in the community experiences with the extension of the WPA handshake timeout and the possible impacts (e.g. to roaming)?

Thanks for your support in advance.

Peter

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Basically what this is going to do, is increase the how long the handshake can take.  For some devices, they do not have enough processing power to do this in the 1 second that is default.

For the most part, increasing it will not hurt anything, so long as you don't push it too far.  For 2 seconds, you should be ok, but if you did say 10 seconds, and there was an issue, it would take that much longer to retry to connect.

Cheers,
Steve

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card