Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Access Point / Bridge

Tommo2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could someone please point me in the right direction as to which Access Points / Bridge I need to connect one central building to five other buildings. With the potential to send the wireless across a Loch 1.2 miles away to give internet in a further property.

I currently have an AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 with AIR-ANT2506, but this can be changed if applicable,

Many thanks for any help you can give, regards, Ian

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco 1240, 1250, 3500e or 1260 will also work.  The next factor is antennae.  Here's a list of antennae:

Cisco Aironet Antennas and Accessories Reference Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Cisco Aironet 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Antennas and Accessories

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

If you are using 3500e or 1260 AP, make sure the antennae gain does NOT exceed 6 dB.

1.  Ensure you have line of sight.

2.  Don't use too long co-axial cable.  The longer the cable, the higher the signal loss which shortens your reach/range.

Follow the installation guide of the antennae. 

Okay, thankyou. I have a AIR-CAB005LL-R cable ordered to link the AIR-ANT2506 to the AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 arriving tomorrow.

I also have a couple of AIR-LAP1131AG-N-K9's and AIR-LAP1242AG-N-K9's arriving to test out. Can you please advise -

a) How to configure these best

b) To configure these LAP's to work as multipoints to the AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 and AIR-ANT2506?

If it works with the 1131's then all good, if not, then I will try the 1242's with the same AIR-ANT2506's as they will need to go outdoors.

Any configuration help appreciated.

Would it also be possible to use a switch to link the AIR-BR1310G-E-K9, and use a separate ethernet cable to run approx 100m to another property to get internet hard wired directly out of the switch? Something like a WS-C3524PWR-XL-EN or WS-C3512-XL-EN etc.....?

Regards, Ian

Hi,

Are you able to help with configuring my AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 with either an AIR-LAP1131AG-N-K9 or an AIR-LAP1242AG-N-K9, both of which are arriving tomorrow and I would like to know how to link them up so they do point to point & point to multipoint?

I have a AIR-CAB005LL-R cable ordered to link the AIR-ANT2506 to the AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 arriving tomorrow.

I also have a couple of AIR-LAP1131AG-N-K9's and AIR-LAP1242AG-N-K9's arriving to test out. Can you please advise -

a) How to configure these best

b) To configure these LAP's to work as multipoints to the AIR-BR1310G-E-K9 and AIR-ANT2506?

If it works with the 1131's then all good, if not, then I will try the 1242's with the same AIR-ANT2506's as they will need to go outdoors.

Any configuration help appreciated.

Would it also be possible to use a switch to link the AIR-BR1310G-E-K9, and use a separate ethernet cable to run approx 100m to another property to get internet hard wired directly out of the switch? Something like a WS-C3524PWR-XL-EN or WS-C3512-XL-EN etc.....?

Regards, Ian

Wireless Bridges Point-to-Point Link Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Hi,

I'm afraid this configuration example didn't help as it comes up with forbidden page and not enough priviledges for me to view?

Are you able to copy / paste the information for me?

also, are you able to answer me this - I am looking at putting a switch / router in between the satellite modem that provides the internet, and the Aironet that will be acting as the "Root bridge?" (I am hoping to send the internet wirelessly to a number of access points from a central AP, but also run an ethernet cable from a switch down to another property from the switch, will this work??)

Regards, Ian

Hi there,

Are you able to get back to me on this configuration, as the link you sent me I am unable to access I am afraid?

Wireless Bridges Point-to-Point Link Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Thanks, Ian

Hope this helps.

The document was very helpful thankyou.

However, I have an issue. I have received the AIR-LAP1131AG-N-K9 but it is the LWAPP lightweight AP and therefore apparently I need a Wireless LAN Controller to use it, is this correct?

I don't think there is a way of using this AP independently without a WLC but if there is please let me know.

If not, could you please let me know which 1100 or 1200 series AP's I could use, with integrated or external antenna's and I can order these instead.

Many thanks, Ian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: