Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi 6 APs

cisco8887
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

if you buy 9117 APs which are wifi 6 , would it support 802.11b and a / very old standards on its own ?

if yes, would every one need to switch to old standard if one device is say 802.11b 

Remember back in the days, if you had b/g enabled and had one device in b then every client would connect using B so essentially you were not using g standard.

i want to know if this is the same case here

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>if you buy 9117 APs which are wifi 6 , would it support 802.11b and a / very old standards on its own ?

Yes

>yes, would every one need to switch to old standard if one device is say 802.11b 

No

>Remember back in the days, if you had b/g enabled and had one device in b then every client would connect using B so essentially you were not using g standard.

- Not true clients decide connecting-parameters by themselves using most-optimal parameters

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

thanks for this

if you have 802.11b/g and one client was on b, my understanding was evey client would move onto B as G is no longer supported, is this incorrect ?

I was checking if this was the case with new standards and you mentioned no

PHY 802.11b and 802.11g are both supported across al AP models

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC

"if you have 802.11b/g and one client was on b, my understanding was evey client would move onto B as G is no longer supported, is this incorrect ?

Not exactly correct. If you have 11b client on the cell (BSS), then 11g clients have to use a protection mechanism (RTS/CTS or CTS-sefl) in order to let 11b clients know about communication going to happen. Those RTS/CTS frames are using data rates that 11b client can understand, so they will stay quiet (for a time value set in Duration/ID field) and that helps to prevent collisions.

Refer "Protection mechanism for non-ERP" for more details

https://mrncciew.com/2014/11/02/cwap-802-11-protection-mechanism/ 

Even two 802.11g clients communicate they have to use this protection mechanism. Once you use the protection mechanism, those two 802.11g clients can use 802.11g higher rates (6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 Mpbs) for their data frame transmission.

So every client move to 802.11b is not exactly right in this context. Hope that clears

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card