Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi 6 Features

Learnercisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tech people,

In my Setup i want to know if  WIFI 6 Connectivity is available ton Cisco WLC 5500 ?  if we use 3800 AP with WLC 5500, how can we achieve the WIFI 6 Feature.  what will be the case if Wireless Controller Supports wifi 6 and AP doesnt not.

Cisco is recommending to use 9100 AP for Wifi 6, so is there any Specification hardware requirement for WIFI 6 or simlpy enable this by upgrading Firmware on Controller and AP (in my case WLC5520, AP-3800)

thanks in advance. 

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Learnercisco wrote:

In my Setup i want to know if  WIFI 6 Connectivity is available ton Cisco WLC 5500 ? 

APs that support 802.11ax (aka WiFi 6) are the Catalyst 9k AP (not to be confused with Catalyst 9k switches).  The Catalyst 9k AP are supported on 8.10.X.X.  

@Learnercisco wrote:

Cisco is recommending to use 9100 AP for Wifi 6, so is there any Specification hardware requirement for WIFI 6 or simlpy enable this by upgrading Firmware on Controller and AP (in my case WLC5520, AP-3800)

In order to enable WiFi 6, the number of usable channels go down.  Remember the difficulty of widespread use of 2.4 Ghz in a dense environment because of lack the lack of usable non-overlapping channels?  Same thing with 802.11ax.  

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
WiFi 6 is only supported on access point hardware starting with the 9100’s. Not other access point Cisco gas is WiFi 6 capable.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scote Fetta,

Thanks for your reply,

Simply Cisco WLC 5500 Supports WIFI 6 and for Access point we need to replace AP from 3800 to 9100 for fully WIFI 6 deployment

Only the 3504, 5520 and 8540 support v8.9 and v8.10 that is required for the newer access points. Take a look at this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/feature-matrix/ap-feature-matrix.html#_Toc42781653
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card