cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will version 6 WCS backups work on version 7 WCS?

polleyjb01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have backups of my 6.0.196.0 WCS files. I made a new server with 7.0.164.3(ED). Will their be a problem if I try to use my backup files to restore the newer version of WCS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not at all.

That's actually a way to upgrade.

-backup old WCS

-uninstall old WCS

-install new WCS

-restore database

The only condition is that the new WCS version supports the old version as "ugprade from", which is the case between the 2 you are mentioning.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not at all.

That's actually a way to upgrade.

-backup old WCS

-uninstall old WCS

-install new WCS

-restore database

The only condition is that the new WCS version supports the old version as "ugprade from", which is the case between the 2 you are mentioning.

Just so I understand what your saying...

Normally, no this will not work, but I am lucky because in my case it will because of "ugprade from" rule?

That's not really what I said.

You can restore a 6.0.196 db on 7.0.164.3 because it's a supported upgrade path.

You could not restore a 3.1 WCS db on a 7.0 for example.

More tricky would be that you cannot restore 6.0.196 db on 7.0.164 simply because 6.0.196 is more recent than 7.0.164 in time (although numbers would let you think the opposite).

Conclusion : if it's a supported upgrade path mentioned in the release notes then yes it's ok. In your case it's ok.

I have my new server restored with the backup files from my old server. I have one last problem. When I log into the web page for WCS, It prompts me, telling me I dont have the license for all my AP's.

Do you know where this license file is located by default and how doI import the license?

edit: I will make anew post with this question.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card