Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless association & ping

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

We a thermal imager which supports wireless 802.11b/g , but NOT 802.11a.

Our wireless network has a Cisco 5500 WLC with different ap's running in a mesh mode & this WLC connects to our core network.

The thermal imager scans the data from different heating processes across the factory & should ideally send these to a server connected to our core.

The server is on network 192.168.108.0/24 with IP 192.168.108.4

The thermal imager has options to put in the ssid details to associate with wireless network.

We keyed in the ssid and assigned a static IP 192.168.108.100 to it.

It connects to the wireless network & can be seen on the controller.

But, it can't seem to be reachable from either the server 192.168.108.4 nor the other lan network in our core.

Routing is available between these.

The thermal imager when shifted from place to place connects to one of the nearest mesh ap's and then links back to the network.

Any suggestions on why thermal imager is not pingable even though it is seen on the wlc.

Is it due to the fact that it doesn't support 802.11a ? or any other reasons?

Appreciate all help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No can't be that. So the unit works fine, it's just you are not able to ping the device? Maybe the unit itself doesn't, but you can always add a static arp entry in the layer 3 because the reason might be that. That there isn't an arp entry on the L3.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No can't be that. So the unit works fine, it's just you are not able to ping the device? Maybe the unit itself doesn't, but you can always add a static arp entry in the layer 3 because the reason might be that. That there isn't an arp entry on the L3.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

i was checking the arp entry on layer 3 core, when i saw it as incomplete.

Thanks, i'll try adding in a static arp for this.

Sorry but i am naive here, will the unsupported 802.11a cause any issues with this.

To my understanding if we have a antenna (802.11b/g) on the ap's, these devices should use these to associate into the wireless network as client.

Please correct if this is incorrect. thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card