Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge and Redundant Link

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking at deploying 1500 series AP's to connect multiple remote buildings. Normally we would fit dual devices to ensure redundancy, however our existing switches are none managed so I cannot change any spanning tree configuration on them. Please see diagram:

In the above please assume servers and internet connection are at head office. I want both backup link 1 and link 2 to only be operational in the scenario that the primary link has gone.

Head office, Building 1 and Building 2 are on the same subnet with no vlan configuration.

Basically in my test setup I have here I have enabled spanning tree on each of the radio interfaces on all AP's and changed the priority. This allows the bridges not to loop between the primary and backup on either side.

Problem - they are all in bridge group 1, so if spanning tree updates on either side of the bridge it affects the other side which is actually irrelevant to the opposite building.

Short of replacing the switches to something that allows me to modify the spanning tree on each switch port or creating multiple vlan's, is there anything I can do to make sure that the wireless between building 1 and building 2 do not share the same spanning tree instance? I want Link 1 to only update spanning tree if one of the links within this side should fail, and the same for building 2.

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Short of replacing the switches to something that allows me to modify the spanning tree on each switch port or creating multiple vlan's, is there anything I can do to make sure that the wireless between building 1 and building 2 do not share the same spanning tree instance? I want Link 1 to only update spanning tree if one of the links within this side should fail, and the same for building 2.

I would go with replacing these unmanaged switches. In that way you have better control

If you get L3 switch, then I would run routing between HQ & those buildings & use this multiple radio links active-active (for higher throughput). See below thread, if you ever need to go in that path

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12041146/good-solution

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card