cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridging with Cisco 3600 and 5760?

Heiko Kelling
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a project with Cisco 3600 access points and 5760 controller. One part of the project is a small campus.

Unfortunately there are no ethernet cables laid, only electricity.

Here´s a sketch:

wireless bridge.png

The site length of the campus is about 70 metres. Now the question. Is it possible to make a wireless bridge with the existing hardware

or we need other Access Points? Is it useful at all to make that?

Sorry for bad english, thanks for help.

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

The 3600 can be used in MESH mode. Indoor mesh works well, but know there are limitations. The backhaul uses 5 GHz which means your clients will only be able to use 2.4 GHz channels. Also, know that each hop from mesh ap you lose about 1/2 your bandwidth. You really dont want to exceed more than 2 hops back to the RAP (my own 2 cents). The RAP will need to be cabled to the wired and will need to join the WLC.

Here is a mesh example, there are moor just google cisco mesh exmaple

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008072ea79.shtml

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

5760 only support local mode APs. So you cannot achieve what you want with that controller hardware. Refer this for 5760 deployment/feature options

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/5760_deploy/Supported_Features.html

To do what George suggesting, you should have either 5508/2504/WiSM2 as WLC.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Good call Ras +5

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Hi,

thanks for the fast answers.

The Cisco documentation is sometimes to go insane. Now I have found a document that only

APs can be used for mesh

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.0/design/guide/MeshAP_70.html

@Rasika: This is right.

"

Q. What deployment modes can the Cisco 5760 WLC and Cisco Catalyst 3850 support?

A. The Cisco 5760 WLC can operate in centralized mode (also known as local mode) as well as converged access mode, whereas the Cisco Catalyst

3850 operates in converged access mode. At this time, there is no support for office-extend access points, indoor or outdoor mesh, or FlexConnect access points on the Cisco 5760 WLC and Cisco Catalyst 3850.

"

At the moment the 5760 can really nothing, but I hope the feature comes with the next releases.

Actually most of the aps can do mesh. The ap600 can not ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App