cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless client cards

Eric Lindsey
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for recommendations for the type of wireless card for our wireless devices for this year. We have Wism2 controllers and all 3502i access points. Our access points are spaced out for wireless voice (not using it yet) and location tracking. Our main WLAN for data traffic is only running on 2.4 mainly because we do not have enough devices ready to move over to 5. We are going to start ordering laptops for this year soon and I want to try to plan what they should be buying for the laptops. We are a Lenovo shop running mostly Intel wireless cards. We just finished installing all of the 3500 access points so I don't think we will be installing any 3600 or 2600 anytime soon. I have not kept up with the client hardware so I am not sure what cards have more antennas etc. We buy mainly from CDW for all of our hardware.

Any recommendations?
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes yes... stay away from the Intel 62xx's unless you can push v15 of the drivers.  Thats all I have to say for that.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We buy mainly from CDW for all of our hardware.

You're just darn lucky.  A few of the wireless CDW guys regularly posts here.

In regards to Intel cards, avoid 6200-series cards like a plague.

Unfortunately, you'll be hardpressed to tell vendor "I want Lenova but I want a different wireless NIC other than an Intel 6200."  You get what it's there unless you choose a specific model based on the wireless chip.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Eric

I prefer the Intel over Broadcom and other models. I like the supplicant software. Drivers get updated frequently. Supplicant provides move install packs. They have been very reliable for me. We have like 5000 intels on our network.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think as I recall maybe Scott can comment. It was 40mhz on the client and there was issues ..

But you will have issues with any client out there.

Just do yourself a favor. Pick one vendor ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes yes... stay away from the Intel 62xx's unless you can push v15 of the drivers.  Thats all I have to say for that.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Eric Lindsey
Level 1
Level 1

We currently use windows to setup the wireless on our laptops. Is it better to use the intel software to set things up?

Intel allows you more control over the wireless nic.