Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless help required

mbaylis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm after some good old help & advice on wireless configuration issue we have. We are currently looking at a wireless solution for our HO site. We have purchased 5 x 1131AG AP's, 1 x 4402 WLC.

We are struggling to get the concept of the number of vlans we need to create on the layer 3 switch which connects to the WLC. Am I right in presuming the following;

1) 1 vlan for the AP's configured

2) 1 vlan for the Management & AP Manager (combined in 1 vlan)?

the other 2 vlan we are struggling with the open authentication and secure authentication vlan??p what are the purpose of these and how should these be configured. If anyone can point me to the correct documentation or advice. Thanks

1 Reply 1

kwonza
Level 1
Level 1

The number of VLANs on the switch will be determined by the number of WLANs you are expecting to serve to your customers. The WLC will have an AP management VLAN, as well as the management VLAN for the controller. Any other WLANs will have an interface configured with the corresponding VLAN network. Your fiber uplink from the WLC to the switch will be trunked and all WLAN VLANs will ride through that interface to the switch. All of my APs are sitting in a switchport access mode , VLANxxx which is my AP manager VLAN.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card