Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN : Cisco WLC and per Client Throughput

mukesh.patil
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

I have doubt on how to calculate (theoretical) a wireless client throughput. 

Assume:

1 Wireless LAN controller 5560/5508

2 Wireless AP 3700 (802.11ac supported)

3. Wireless Client Laptop A (Source) 802.11ac supported 

4. Wireless Client Laptop B (Destination) 802.11ac supported

5. Scenario :- Laptop A and B on same subnet

6. Scenario : Laptop A and B on different subnet (Core Switch is doing routing for them)

What will be throughput in scenario A?

What will be throughput in scenario B?

I am getting confused that 3rd generation (3700AP and 5508/60 WLC) WLAN/AP all traffic passed from 

Client --> AP --> WLAN Controller --> Destination Server/PC

If the above is the case then i  always depend on WLAN throughput to get better result..if above case if i configured even only 10 client per AP also my thrighput alwayes depends on total number of clients and WLC throughput

formula will be 

Per user throughput = WLC Throughput/No. of client 

is above understand correct ? or

Per user throughput = AP Throghput/No. of client per AP

Please help...

Mukesh 

3 Replies 3

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How to Calculate Throughput via iPerf

Iperf Setup Tips

For those customers or testers that do not own Chariot, Iperf can be used instead. This is available at http://www.macalester.edu/crash/software/pc/iperf/kperf_setup.exe.

Measuring TCP Throughput

Run this command on the server side:

Iperf –s -w 256k

Run this command on the client side:

Iperf –c <server IP address> -P 6 –w 256k -r –t 60

tshoot-11n-speeds-01.gif

The first circled number in this image represents the upstream throughput, the second circled number represents downstream (AP to client) throughput.

Measuring UDP Throughput

Close the previous Iperf applications on both the server and client side. Both need to be set up again, but this time for UDP performance testing.

Run this command on the server side:

Iperf –s -u –l 56k

Run this command on the client side:

Iperf –c 
<server IP address>
 -u –b 50M –l 56k –P

This is an example of Omnipeek captures to analyze Aggregate MAC service data unit:

I wanted to know the per user throughput formula and not the way to test it. However the information you have shared is useful if i don't have testing tool like Spirent etc :)

santg
Level 1
Level 1

In Scenario A, if the configuration is Flex Connect, the theoretical throughput will be the minimum offered between the Access Point and the Switch. If not then the minimum between the AP, Switch and the WLC.

In Scenario B, since the core switch also comes into picture so the device providing the least throughput will become the bottleneck in the entire data path.

Regarding per user throughput your understanding is correct.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card