Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Mesh Questions

miomalle
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions about a wireless mesh I'm planning on installing, which I hope you can answer.

I know that the wireless back haul is done over the 802.11a radio, but on the root AP, can clients still authenticate to this AP on the 802.11b/g radio when servicing mesh AP's?

In the building the mesh is to be installed in, the walls are VERY thick and we have suffered a lot of problems with the 802.11a radio not being strong enough in some areas (but b/g fine). To resolve the number of errors and any potential drops on the network, they are just running b/g now. With a mesh install needing to use the a radio, is the simple way just to have the remote AP's closer, or is there any way which the b/g radio could be used as that has much better coverage on site?

We are using 1130's with a controller.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes Mike you are right , Any AP can be added if their MAC is in the list and if they are already configured with correct WLC , BGN name.

SO as to configure them properly with AP mode , WLC IP and BGN , it is recommended that you should connect them with WLC.

Thanks

Vinay

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Vinay Saini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hii Mike ,

Regrading your 1st question , yes clients can connect to Root AP on both b/g & A radio. For Backhaul radio i.e A to serve clients you need to enable the backhaul client access feature.

I am not clear ragarding your second doubt , are you planning to install indoor mesh ? or what exactly the reuirements is ? Can you please explain.

Thanks

Vinay

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for your reply.

The mesh is going to be inside and we have seen quite a limited a radio coverage in some areas. We intend to increase the b/g signal in these areas with the mesh. I was wondering was it possible to use the b/g radio for the mesh connection? I have doubts that you can.

Another quick point - I know I can change a normal AP's role to become a mesh ap while live on the network - does a remote AP have to be first connected to the network before I change its role, or can I add the mac straight to the mac filter and then power it on to seek a connection?

Many thanks in advance.

Hii Mike ,

Currently Indoor AP can use A radio as backhaul only .However client connectivity can be on both radios.

AP needs to be connected to the controller.Then you can change the mode to bridge , it will reboot and come back in Mesh mode. I guess only 1131 and 1240 AP's are supported for indoor mesh.

regd HREAP mode , AP can work only in one mode at a time .So it needs to be connected to controller , change mode and it will no longer will be in HREAP and will act as Mesh AP which needs to beb always in connected mode with controller for network to be up.

Thanks

Vinay

Hi Vinay,

You mentioned about HREAP mode, I was just wondering for a remote Mesh AP - does this have to connect to the network on the wire first? I know I can do this on a live AP, but i wanted to add remote AP's without having to add them to the network.

Thanks

Thanks

Hii Mike ,

So if I understand your question properly , So u already have the Mesh AP's and you want to add their MAC to mesh filter first and then make them join the network.

If that is the question , yes you an do that . But AP's should be correctly configured with correct BGN.

But the best way is to , Make the normal AP join the controller , covert to Mesh mode RAP , configure the correct BGN ang change the role to MAP.

Thanks

Vinay

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for your update - I hope I have understood you correctly......

You are saying that all remote AP's should first be added to the network then their mac added to the filter list (then set to remote)?

I would have thought you could add any AP to a "remote" location, as long as the MAC was in the filter list.

Thanks

Yes Mike you are right , Any AP can be added if their MAC is in the list and if they are already configured with correct WLC , BGN name.

SO as to configure them properly with AP mode , WLC IP and BGN , it is recommended that you should connect them with WLC.

Thanks

Vinay

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for your help on this topic!

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: