Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless probe solution

Sami Abunasser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have many warehouses that utilize wireless for hand held wireless devices that connect back to a main server for multiple reasons. I need a solution to put some kind of probe out on the network that connects to the wireless network, and runs availability tests to the server so that I can monitor the server accessibility via the wireless network.

Here's an example, in case i'm not being clear enough:

- The wireless SSID is (xyz).

- Wireless devices access the server (1.1.1.1) over ports (TCP Z, Y, Z).

- I want a device, that i can put on the network that will connect to the SSID (xyz), and monitor the server (1.1.1.1) over ports (TCP X, Y, and Z).

Anyone out there know of anything like that? I'm not sure if Cisco has a solution for that either.

Thank you,

Sami

3 Replies 3

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sami:

Why dont you use normal port scanner? Run it in a machine that is connected to xyz ssid and specify the ip and the ports of the server that you want to scan.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Amjad,

That won't work, I need to continuosly monitor the connectivity and produce reports. Purchasing and dedicating a laptop to sit in the floor of a warehouse isn't reasonable, for some of our warehouses we will need to use up to 20 pollers.

I remember a while back working on something like this for the LAN, and it was a little probe that you would install at the site, and there was a controller it connected back to and it tested response time, jitter, packet loss, and other things.

I can't remember it's name, but i'm looking for something like that for wireless and a machine will not work.

Thanks for the response though.

-Sami

Purchasing and dedicating a laptop to sit in the floor of a warehouse isn't reasonable, for some of our warehouses we will need to use up to 20 pollers.

Raspberry Pi.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card