Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless signals

umar bhatti
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I need a advise on this. Basically at home i am using normal sky router and the wireless signals are really bad in the kitchen and garage area. I want to put a device which helps in better signals. Could you please give me some suggestion about what i should you. I have seens some AP but not sure which one should i use.

Thanks

17 Replies 17

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know about adding a wireless AP that will replace your other wireless AP will help. Not knowing what signals you are seeing or the layout makes it hard to say. If you have Ethernet ran to rooms in your house you can always add an access point that way.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, that's what i was thinking to run a cable and put an AP on the other end but which one.. Do you know any good one..

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would look at the 1142 who h is a dual band and also support 802.11n. You can run this in autonomous mode. You can find these cheap because they are EOS. They have builtin antennas also.

-Scott

But does 1142 going to work with normal sky routers i.e. netgear etc..

Yes... Your current router will supply DJ p so you just need to configure the AP with your SSID.

-Scott

What is DJ p also do i have configure DHCP etc on the AP or is it just plug and go..

There is minor config but minimal you need. If you connect it to your router and that is already providing dhcp address to devices you should be fine. All you need to configure is your SSID.

-Scott

Also these AP are to expensive nearly £200. Is their any other you can recommand.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can always find a configuration guide on Cisco's site.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well unless you just buy one from the local electronic store, these Cisco APs are a bit more expensive. You can look at the 1131 but that is not 802.11n. Have you looked on eBay?

-Scott

Yes proper expensive on ebay as well. Any other like dlink etc

You can look at the 1131

Scott is recommending 1130!  What a shock!  What horror!  LOL

Well he wanted something cheaper:)

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can always look for a home access point instead of an enterprise access point.

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/access-points/linksys-WAP610N_stcVVproductId80342978VVviewprod.htm

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card