Helpful
Replies

WiSM - Multicast Initial Configuration Help

panayiotiscy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I would really like your help on this.

We have enabled the multicast for the wired network for our client and it works really good.

Now, it's time to enable it through the Wism running 6.0.199.4

So, on the Wism configuration i'm performing the following config:

1) Controller - Multicast - Check the enable global multicast mode and the Igmp snooping

2) Controller - General - Ap Multicast Mode- Multicast: 239.199.1.76

On the Cat6k side:

Enable the multicast in the management vlan to the wism and to the vlan bind with the ssid we are connected at.

I'm rebooting the AP in order to receive the new multicast configuration from the wism and then trying to receive the multicast stream.

But apparently i cant...!

So, i'm checking under Monitor- Multicast to see whether the multicast group is (configured in Ap Multicast Mode) is active but i cant see it listed under Layer 3.

Can anyone share his feedback here?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Federico Ziliotto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The multicast IP 239.199.1.76 that you configured on the WiSM is the one that the APs will join (different from the multicast IP to which the wireless clients will register).

So you would need to make sure that the APs subnet/vlan is also configured for multicast.

Moreover, apart from the discovery phase, the communication between the APs and the WiSM is done through the ap-manager interface: you might want to make sure that also this subnet/vlan is correctly configured for multicast.

Regards,

Fede

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Hi Federico,

Thanks for your feedback.

We will need to check the multicast on the APs subnet/vlan and let you know about the result.

Maybe this is our problem here.

Did you check out this doc ? It could be helpful ... https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14713

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I wasnt aware of this!

Thanks a lot!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card