cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN setup Using separte DHCP server for wireless clients

intertouch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to setup a WLC 4404 with 1131 Light weight APs. I used the internal DHCP of the controller for the APs. and put in on lets say VLAN3. then I have a DHCP server on native VLAN. Now I want my wireless clients to get the DHCP from my external DHCP. So far when i test ed the wireless connections I can only get the DHCP from the internal DHCP of the 4404 not my external DHCP server. Any recommendations on how I can do this? thanks

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Usually when you will have your ssid's on different subnets. So this means you will have to create an interface on each subnet. When you create and interface, that is when you can specify the primary and backup. If for some reason you want to use on subnet and have two or more dhcp servers, you would create an ssid and in that ssid, you can configure dhcp override which is in the advanced tab in the wlan. This will override the current dhcp you have specified in the interface configuration page. Hope this helps.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks! but now the challenge is I got it on different VLANs. the reason being, that the external DHCP server conflicts with the AP discovery. Management, AP-manager and the AP port are on different VLANs. The external DHCP server is on native VLAN.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card