cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 Airplay not working over wireless

sam.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we are trying to use Airplay within our network and we're having really wierd issues.

First, we have 2 subnets:  192.168.x.x and 10.x.x.x

We have our wired Apple TV's on 192.168.x.x. and our wireless Apple TV's on 10.x.x.x

We also have wired computers on both networks. But all of our wireless clients are on 10.x.x.x.

So: 

-Wired computers (in both subnets) can get to the wired Apple TV's.

-Wireless computer cannot get to any Apple TV's.

-Nothing can get to the wireless Apple TV's.

What I've done from other forums:

-I've enabled Global Multicast and set a multicast adddress

-I've tried it with and without IGMP snooping

-Enabled multicast routing on the switches that the Access Points are connected to

-Using Bonjour Browser, I don't see any AirTunes devices when I'm connected Wirelessly

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Under | interfaces |

Do you have an mDNS profile selected?

Also, 239.0.0.0 may be the network address for the network.  Try 239.0.0.11 or something other than 0 for the last octet.

Under the WLAN Advanced tab, do you have mDNS snooping enabled along with the desired profile?

Eric

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

What address did you use for the global multicast setting?

also, what is the version of code on the 2504?

Multicast address:  239.0.0.0

Version:  7.4.110.0

Under | interfaces |

Do you have an mDNS profile selected?

Also, 239.0.0.0 may be the network address for the network.  Try 239.0.0.11 or something other than 0 for the last octet.

Under the WLAN Advanced tab, do you have mDNS snooping enabled along with the desired profile?

Eric

I've changed the multicast address to .11

mDNS settings:

mDNS Global Snooping:  Checked

Query Interval:  15 min

Services:  AirPrint, AppleTV, HP Photosmart Printer 1, HP Photosmart Printer 2, Printer

Profile:

default-mdns-profile

No. of Services:  5

Services:  AirPrint, AppleTV, HP Photosmart Printer 1, HP Photosmart Printer 2, Printer

Domain Names:

Shows a list of wiredappletv's.local.  Nothing wireless

Try adding in AirTunes & ITunehomesharing to the mDNS profile

I've done that, but nothing has changed.  But looking at the profiles:

Profile Name                                   default-mdns-profile    

Profile Id                                         1

Service Count                                  7

No. of Interfaces Attached                0   

No. of Interface Groups Attached      0

No. of Wlans Attached                     1

I can't find where I can set in the WLAN where the profile is applied.  We only have 1 interface connected to the controller (interface 1 which is the management interface).  I'm assuming that it only needs to be applied to the WLAN, but I'm wondering if this is set to the right WLAN.  Where can I find this?

Under the WLAN advanced tab, towards the bottom right of the page.  You need to bind it to the interface as well.

It is not per the output above

I can't set the mDNS profile without turning off the flexconnect local switching which i need for my remote offices.  This is something I need to test during off hours.  Thanks for your help and I'll report back what I find.

Good luck with it.  I've never been satisfied with mDNS performance over flex-connect in the past.

Its supposed to be fixed in 7.5, but I haven't tested it yet

Well I did the testing and it worked.  But, in at least this version of the software, you cannot have flexconnect and mDNS snooping enabled at the same time on the same WLAN.  This is unfortunate, because we have remote offices that we use flexconnect (aka REAP and H-REAP) to connect our AP's to our controller at headquarters. 

We are getting new controllers for each of the remote sites to work around this issue (plus some other minor networking issues). 

But, it does work.  Thanks for your help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card