cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4404 Multicast on LAG/SMLT Nortel 8600's

rmensching
Level 1
Level 1

We have a pair or 8600's that we have configured SMLT with the 4404's LAG option. Unicast network traffic is flowing and working correctly and the SMLT/LAG failover works without a problem. The MLT trunk has 3 tagged VLAN's and no untagged native vlan. The controllers are configured with a tagged vlan as their management/ap-manager address interfaces. We have no issues with AP association or network usage on the controllers. The MLT's are configured with PIM-Sparse and IGMP v2 and the controllers configured with multicast-multicast with group 226.1.2.3. I can see the AP's on their respective subnets joining the 226.1.2.3 IGMP group but I am unable to see IGMP traffic from the controllers. Any suggestions on possible issues with the 8600's and the controllers, problems with SMLT, problems with multicast on tagged management VLANs? I am stumped at the moment and have sniffed the controller port on the 8600's and do not see any multicast packets. Thanks for any tips.

1 Reply 1

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

For each link configured as bundle member, the following information is exchanged between the systems that host each end of the link bundle:

A globally unique local system identifier

An identifier (operational key) for the bundle of which the link is a member

An identifier (port ID) for the link

The current aggregation status of the link

This information is used to form the link aggregation group identifier (LAG ID). Links that share a common LAG ID can be aggregated. Individual links have unique LAG IDs.

The system identifier distinguishes one router from another, and its uniqueness is guaranteed through the use of a MAC address from the system. The bundle and link identifiers have significance only to the router assigning them, which must guarantee that no two links have the same identifier, and that no two bundles have the same identifier.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card