cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 question

meberhard
Level 1
Level 1

My company is allowing me to move from autonomous access points to a controller-based wireless network. We are currently set as a giant hub-and-spoke model with over 200 branch locations all on their own subnet sending data traffic back to our corporate office. I know the 5520 can work with FlexConnect for the remote access points but I just wanted to verify that the controller can work over multiple networks, including between our vendor and corporate networks here in the corporate office.

6 Replies 6

Luke Oxley
Level 1
Level 1
[@meberhard@ewing1.com],

Thanks for the post. It can work over multiple networks with its ports in LAG, however let it be known that it only supports one single AP manager VLAN. This means the subnet specifically for the management of the access points would need to be piped out to all of your spoked locations.
I hope that makes sense.

Kind regards,
Luke

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

Hi Luke,

Just a correction to what you said. As long as there is L3 connectivity between the AP subnet and WLC management interface IP there should be no issue. There is no requirement to have them in the same subnet.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Learn from the Best To be the Best!

Change the way you look at wireless client connectivity forever by registering to watch this free webinar and also stand a chance to win ourWireless starter kit worth $8000 for free!!

wifitrainers,
Thanks for the note - I didn't take that in to consideration. I guess he would just need to add the DHCP options in on those remote subnets and as long as there is routing they'll associate as per usual.
Great tip!
Cheers,
Luke

Hi Luke,

That is absolutely correct. Happy to help :).

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Hi,

We are using below as guest anchor controller.

Anchor Controller:
Model: AIR-5520
OS version : 8.2.166.0.

We have to move existing tunnels from foreign controller 4402 to anchor controller 5508 to new anchor controller 5520.

Would like to know the compatibility whether it will work or not.

i have already gone through the compatibility matrix and found it bit confusing.

Please help me on this.

Thank you.

Krishna.

WiFi Trainers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

As long as you have L3 network configured on the wired network there will not be an issue in communication between the AP and WLC. The AP's will be able to get connected even if they are in different subnets.

In case you referred to something else please do let us know.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Change the way you look at wireless client connectivity forever by registering to watch this free webinar and also stand a chance to win ourWireless starter kit worth $8000 for free!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card