Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 ssids not shown suddently for specific users issue

lAhmed Saadl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In certain specific locations of the access points (APs), I have encountered an issue where some clients are unable to see any network SSIDs being broadcasted. However, when I move these clients' PCs to a different area, a scan is performed, and they are able to connect to the SSIDs being advertised. It is important to note that in the areas where some PCs cannot detect any networks or advertised SSIDs, there are other clients whose PCs can connect without any problems to those APs.

To address this issue, I attempted to install a new AP in one of the affected areas. However, even with the new AP, the clients still could not detect any advertised SSIDs, while other PCs connected normally to the new AP.

To illustrate this further, I conducted a test by taking one of the affected machines to an area where all users are able to connect without any issues. However, upon returning. AP model: C9115AXI-I -- WLC: 5520 series. 8.10.171.0

---------------

The difference between two logs that I can detect, but didn't know what are the reasons behind;

*apfReceiveTask: Feb 21 16:12:48.381: [SA] apfMmProcessMessage: Freeing the mm pkt for non existing client

*apfMsConnTask_4: Feb 21 16:14:16.772: [SA] f8:9e:94:31:bc:c6 Got action frame from the client (ActionCategory:5), payloadLen:3
*apfMsConnTask_4: Feb 21 16:14:16.772: [SA] f8:9e:94:31:bc:c6 Found RM action category code

*apfReceiveTask: Feb 21 16:16:01.853: [SA] apfMmProcessMessage: Freeing the mm pkt for non existing client

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have your  client debugs (attachments) analyzed with Wireless Debug Analyzer   to get high level analysis , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks for response. yes, sure it was just strange to have Setting RTTS enabled to 0 over and over.

lAhmedSaadl_0-1708610059835.png

received DELETE mobile, reasonCode UNKNOWN, deleteReason 15 from AP 2c:1a:05:21:8e:40, slot 1 ...cleaning up mscb .

Warning, ignore the DELETE_MOBILE_PAYLOAD from AP: 2c:1a:05:21:8e:40, slot 1. STA connecting AP: ec:01:d5:9f:73:20, slot 1 with unknown/ clear reason. Appreciate to have a look.

- Because of possible bugs I would advice to go for https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286284738/type/280926587/release/8.10.190.0
               on   the 5520 and check again , 

(this is the recommended release)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As @marce1000 says you are using an outdated version of code - refer to the TAC recommended link below.

lAhmed Saadl
Level 1
Level 1

Certainly! I appreciate the suggestion and will definitely take it into consideration. However, up until now, it has been functioning normally without encountering any such problems. Are there any particular indications or insights from the previous debugging sessions/ analysis that point to a specific bug?

- Not immediately  but you should reverse the argument ; the C9115AXI-I  is a modern AP best using latest/last recommended version on an aireos controller (such as 5520) which are being phased out in favor of the 9800 models.

M.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@lAhmed Saadl wrote:
I have encountered an issue where some clients are unable to see any network SSIDs being broadcasted. However, when I move these clients' PCs to a different area, a scan is performed, and they are able to connect to the SSIDs being advertised

What are these clients?  Specifically, what kind of wireless NIC are these?

Indeed, Leo and I considered this as an issue, but I was uncertain because certain access points (APs) successfully establish connections with the same model, while other APs do not display any SSIDs on the client PC.

Most of them are Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

@lAhmed Saadl wrote:

Most of them are Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

What is the wireless NIC driver? 

Back in early 2023, Intel acknowledged a bug affecting all WiFi 6 capable wireless NIC.  

• For Intel-based AX2xx, the wireless NIC drivers should be 22.200.2.1 (and later) or 22.220.0.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwe50033
  • For Realtek RTL88xx, the wireless NIC driver should be, at a minimum, 6001.10.352.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwf03870

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As everyone has advised - update your WLC and client software and then if you still encounter issues investigate further.  Trying to troubleshoot known buggy software is just a waste of your time.  If you open a TAC case then likely the first thing they'll tell you is to update the software.

lAhmed Saadl
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your kind support and guidance. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card