Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 7.2 - Maximum limit of allowed clients per AP

bouvot_julien
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question for you in order to solve a controller problem.

On Cisco 5508 controllers i need to configure a limit of clients connections on APs Cisco 3502i.

I read some informations on this topic (ex:https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2177884 ) and I understood that was impossible with 7.0.96 firmware.

With 7.2 version, a new parameter "WLAN Maximum Allowed Clients Per AP Radio" was added.

Also, if I have 2 WLAN on an AP, it multiplies the maximum limit on the AP by 2.

So I would have an other possibility like "Maximum Allowed Clients Per AP" to configure in general options and not on WLAN exclusively.

Is that existing? On our 7.2.111.3 or on a newer firmware?

Thanks a lot,

Julien.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Julien,

As far as I am aware of there is no option available such. As you already identified these are the two options available today.

1. Configuring the Client Count per WLAN

2. Configuring the Maximum Number of Clients for each AP Radio per WLAN

Here is the 7.5 config guide refere to this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.5/config_guide/b_cg75_chapter_01000100.html

I think therortically you can go up to ~ 200 clients per AP, but practically you should limit to 25-30 per AP to give better experience to users. Therefore in that regards it is a design criteria how many clients you want to allow per AP per WLAN. Once you set that correct you do not want to worry about max clients per AP.

If there is option for per AP, how it will determine which SSID client to be dropped if limit hits ?

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi Julien,

As far as I am aware of there is no option available such. As you already identified these are the two options available today.

1. Configuring the Client Count per WLAN

2. Configuring the Maximum Number of Clients for each AP Radio per WLAN

Here is the 7.5 config guide refere to this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.5/config_guide/b_cg75_chapter_01000100.html

I think therortically you can go up to ~ 200 clients per AP, but practically you should limit to 25-30 per AP to give better experience to users. Therefore in that regards it is a design criteria how many clients you want to allow per AP per WLAN. Once you set that correct you do not want to worry about max clients per AP.

If there is option for per AP, how it will determine which SSID client to be dropped if limit hits ?

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

@Rasika Nayanajith, sorry to bring an old post back to life, so you know what happens to new clients if the maximum allowed clients per AP Radio had been reached? will the client be forced to connect to a further AP? what if there is none available will the client get dropped?

Thanks

new client request will be rejected by AP. Even if there is no other APs given AP will not accept client as its radio got max allowed limit

HTH
Rasika

Hi Rasika, 

If there is other AP available near to the client, the client will try to connect to this other AP?  

EX:  Client try to connect do AP1 but AP1 has reached the maximum client per radio. AP2 has not reached the maximum client per radio. Client will try to connect to AP2 automatically?

Regards,

Claudio Rezende

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add.....

Why are you suggesting that you have a controller problem and that you need to implement one of these features?  In real work environments, setting a limit can cause more bad than good.  Like Rasika mentioned, there is a rule of thumb and I typically use 20-25, but 20-35 can work in most cases as far as clients per AP.  Setting a number of clients per wlan or radio, is to me a workaround for not having enough AP's for density.  These numbers will also have to be tweaked every so often due to the number of increasing devices on the wireless and area of high density of clients.  A hard set number, can't really be effective on all AP's, due to some areas always having more clients than others.  You also might affect roaming, if a client wants to roam to an AP and that AP is at the limit of clients defined.  So its better to really understand why you think you need to use this feature and as I see it, its not a problem on the version you have on the current WLC, its a feature that you want to use, but do you really want to do that is the question.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I'm totally agree with you. An AP limitation is non-sense but I would see the consequences.

My problem is that too many equipments are connected on a few APs and users are complaining that they don't have enough bandwidth.

We would guarantee 10 Mb/s per user so we would try to limit 8 users per WLAN/per AP.

My problem is that too many equipments are connected on a few APs and users are complaining that they don't have enough bandwidth.

How big is this area where "too many equipments are connected on a few AP" or to a single AP?

I'd think about lowering the data rates of the radios to make the wi-fi range SMALLER.  This will force the cleints not to hug into a particular AP.

You could try to disable your 802.11b/g data rates from 12 Mbps and below.  If things don't improve, try 18 Mbps and below.  Same goes with your 802.11a/n.

jeustace
Level 1
Level 1

I have used Client Load Balancing with good results for a high density deployment.  If my understanding is correct the way it works is this:

• All APs over which you want to load balance the clients must be on the same controller
  • If AP1 has "n" more clients on it than AP2 then further association requests are refused by AP1 encouraging clients to try AP2
  • This refusal can be limited to "x" number of attempts before access is granted anyway as the assumption is that ultimately you want to provide service to the client

Both "n" and "x" are configurable numbers but there is a default which I don't have time to look up right now.

Doing the above, turning on band select and turning off lower data rates on the radios spread a huge number of clients (350+) over a relatively small number of APs/radios (8 x 3502I) fairly evenly and feedback from delegates was good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card