cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 8500 Global Config Changes

anthonygialde
Level 1
Level 1

I am wanting to change the secondary controller name on 400+ APs at once.  My thought was to edit the back-up secondary controller name under Wireless-->Access Points-->Global Configuration-->High Availability.  However, when I edit the name and click apply, it reverts back to the original (incorrect) name.  This name is not the correct secondary controller name, and I want to push the correct name to all of my APs.

What is recommended here?  Also, I intended to pre-download the image.  Once I do that, what is the best method to systematically reboot access points.  I am really trying to avoid "touching" each individual access point through the controller.

Thanks bunches.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am really trying to avoid "touching" each individual access point through the controller.

This a parent-child relationship.  The parent configuration is the global setting while the child setting is found in each individual AP.  

Personally, I'd rather configure the correct secondary WLC details on each of the AP.  

This can be done using CLI and an Excel spreadsheet.

I want the same secondary controller name on 400+ access points (all of them).  Why wouldn't you do it through the global config?  That's what I need help with...

You can configure the secondary from the WIRELESS | ACCESS POINT | GLOBAL CONFIGURATION but this will not populate the secondary controller info. 

I also use an excel sheet to set this and take only a few seconds to paste it in.  If you had Prime Infrastructure you could push this out also. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Why wouldn't you do it through the global config?

Reasons are:

1.  Because it's GLOBAL:  ALL the APs will have the same primary, secondary and tertiary details which, depending on some networks, are unacceptable. 

2.  Child settings takes precedence over global config.  This means that if there's, at least, one AP with a primary, secondary and tertiary setting then this setting will be actioned instead of the global. 

Like Scott (below), doing an excel spreadsheet is very, very easy. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card