Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 9800-40 in HA mode in different data centers

_dmunozz_
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

I am working on replacing our current wireless controllers with the 9800-40 in HA mode. I would like to that them in separate data centers but have not found a configuration guide that would explain how to accomplish this. So far, the configuration of these devices have been somewhat easy but I seem to be stuck with this step.

This is my first experience setting up a wireless controller from the ground up and would appreciate any assistance you guys can provide. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In SSO you don’t use mobility as that is only required for N+1. Make sure your environment supports the requirements for redundancy, which latency is very important. The HA SSO guide will have that information.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Separate data centers is typical with N+1, not SSO because of the back to back connection requirement. All it is, is to configure both separate and make layer mobility is configured between the two.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213913-building-mobility-tunnels-on-catalyst-98.html
-Scott

Scott,

Thank you very much for the information.

I'll work on this starting Monday and provide an update when i get it done.

Sure... just keep in mind that on AireOS and IOS-XE controllers, the requirements are pretty much the same when it comes to SSO or N+1. Now another option is two controllers in SSO in DC1 and your N+1 would be a single 9800 or a pair in SSO in DC2. More cost and maybe not worth it. The 9800-CL if you want to use virtualization can also help and be more cost effective.
-Scott

Scott,

Would the configuration of mobility tunnels still be needed if the controllers are still on 2 different data centers but on the same vlan? I can extend the current vlan to the other data center to keep the controllers in redundant state.

In case of power failure at 1 location, I'd like to have the option to keep wireless access available at my other location.

In SSO you don’t use mobility as that is only required for N+1. Make sure your environment supports the requirements for redundancy, which latency is very important. The HA SSO guide will have that information.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card