Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 9800 mDNS config with Flexconnect

sroic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

need some help making Airplay work across the subnets. Our APs are in Flexconnect local switched mode and our controllers are in AWS (17.6.4, no VLANs, L3 N+1 setup). I went through various docs and community posts but obviously missing some understanding on the topic. 

In short I want the Airplay feature to work between user and TV subnet, we have mDNS gateway globally enabled, using default mdns service list, mDNS Flex profile created with correct VLANs and assigned to WLAN. WLAN mDNS in gateway mode, policy profile using default mdns service list and on Multicast menu only IGMP snooping is enabled. Not sure do I need to enable "Wireless broadcast" or something similar there?

When I check on WLC with command #show mdns-sd cache I can see a lot of our services cached but when I check on WLC GUI > Monitoring > Services > mDNS everything is empty. I followed this guide and I see I should have some services shown here: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-3/deployment-guide/c9800-mDNS-technical-guide-rel-17-3.pdf

Also to add our printer discovery (different VLAN) and screen mirroring from Windows (same TV vlan) works without issues since setting up this flex mDNS profile. Our APs are connected to 9200 switches but from what I understood if I don't need wired multicast I don't need to configure anything on them.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find this document useful : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-3/config-guide/b_wl_17_3_cg/m_conf_local_area_bonjour.html

These commands are  also useful :
            show ip mroute
            show ap multicast mom
            show mdns-sd cache  (already provided)
            show mdns-sd default-service-list
            show tech wireless multicast

Last but not least . review the WLC 9800 configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless ; feed the output into :
                                                            Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I've not tried this so can't suggest any more in terms of config.

All I can suggest is updating the software.  I believe there have been some enhancements and fixes for mDNS so take a look at the TAC recommended link below - currently 17.9.4 + SMUs + APSPs would be the recommended option (or 17.9.4a for the vulnerability fix but no other SMUs or APSPs available for that yet).

Have you tried TAC?

sroic
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't tried TAC for the same reason, we are still at 17.6.4 and I assumed they'll first point me to upgrade  
Was hoping something obvious will come up as missing in the config but if not I'll plan the upgrade and see how it works on 17.9.4 first.

Any other ideas in the meantime are welcome

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card