Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and AP VLAN assignment - best practise

switched switch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We will have a flex connect local switching setup, with a WLC sitting in a data centre and around 12 APs located within multiple various offices.

Our DC and branches are separated by L3 links.

Im trying to ascertain best practise for vlan assignement for the APs and the WLC.

In each location there is a server vlan (20), a management vlan (30). plus user vlan (10) and guest vlan (50), Admin vlan (60).

The management VLAN can only be access by the Admin vlan.

With regards to the WLC, do standard users need to access this IP (the controller management), or only admins? What is this management IP used for, just for M&C of the WLC, and the AP regristration?

Each branch has 3 APs, should I create a separate VLAN just for the APs to sit on?

Should the APs IP addresses just be setup statically, or via DHCP?

1 Reply 1

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As per my knowledge:

1. With regards to the WLC, do standard users need to access this IP (the controller management), or only admins? What is this management IP used for, just for M&C of the WLC, and the AP regristration?

- NO this IP is only need to access for admins for management, M&C and  for AP registration.

Each branch has 3 APs, should I create a separate VLAN just for the APs to sit on?

- Recommand to use APO and WLC in same subnet(May be I did not understand this question..)

Should the APs IP addresses just be setup statically, or via DHCP?

- Better to assign via DHCP.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card