Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Client cannot connect

Hi All,

I have simple question, what if I have checked DHCP Addr. Assignment Required under WLAN's Advanced configuration, can I assign static ip addresses to client on that wlan?

I read somewhere you should not assign static ip addresses to client if you have checked DHCP Addr. Assignment Required.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

If you tick that option, you cannot connect static IP wireless user to that SSID

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Moin Ilyas
Level 4
Level 4

If DHCP Addr. Assignment Required is selected, clients must obtain an IP address via DHCP. Any client with a static IP address is not be allowed on the network.

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

Normally what will happen is that if you configure the Client with static ip (Mean supplicant) then that static ip will be used (If its from the required scope on DHCP) , if the static ip is not working/incorrect then you have to manually change the option to DHCP.

Note:- You can also bind the MAC to IP on Controller side as well.

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Security Considerations

For enhanced security, Cisco recommends that you require all clients to obtain their IP addresses from a DHCP server. To enforce this requirement, all WLANs can be configured with a DHCP Addr. Assignment Required setting, which disallows client static IP addresses. If DHCP Addr. Assignment Required is selected, clients must obtain an IP address via DHCP. Any client with a static IP address is not be allowed on the network. The controller monitors DHCP traffic because it acts as a DHCP proxy for the clients.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card