Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC code upgrade

mcaoile
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade the WLC code and I have about 133 RAPs/MAPs/1131 APs that already joined the WLC.  Will I have a problem with my MAPs when the WLC starts upgrading the code. Some MAPs will have 3 hops to connect to a RAP.

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it depends on what code you are on right now and what code you will be going to. If your on a code that allow pre image download then you upload the code to the WLC and then push the image out to the AP's. then you would reboot the WLC. If you are not on the code that has this feature you still should be fine. The RAP will upgrade and them each MAP closet to the RAP will go next and so fourth. Make sure you look at this matrix to make sure the code you want to run is compatible with all your access points.

world-mode dot11d country-cod

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

No... After you upload the image to the WLC you have to issue the pre image download.

Here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mfw.html#wp1132291

-Scott

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it depends on what code you are on right now and what code you will be going to. If your on a code that allow pre image download then you upload the code to the WLC and then push the image out to the AP's. then you would reboot the WLC. If you are not on the code that has this feature you still should be fine. The RAP will upgrade and them each MAP closet to the RAP will go next and so fourth. Make sure you look at this matrix to make sure the code you want to run is compatible with all your access points.

world-mode dot11d country-cod

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for ur quick response.

The present code is 7.0.98.218 and this code has a bug (1522 b/g radio transmit power and channel always goes to default after a reset).  I have already downloaded 7.0.240.

Regards,

You should be fine. v7.0 has the pre image download feature.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mfw.html#wp1132291

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have upgraded a few mesh installs and indoor mesh with no issues so you should be fine. Just be patient and let the MAPs take their time to join.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

this pre image download feature, after upgrading the WLC, it will automatically push the new image to all APs?

Is there a way of knowing that the WLC is pushing the new image to the APs before I reboot the WLC?

If I reboot the WLC right after the code upgrade and when the WLC comes up, it will upgrade the image in the APs which means all APs will be down.  Am I right?

Regards,

No... After you upload the image to the WLC you have to issue the pre image download.

Here is a link on how to do it.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

thanks a lot.  I'll do this tomorrow.

Regards,

Hi Scott,

Just to be sure I understand the process.

1.  Download the new code to thw WLC (7.0.240).  This becomes the primary image.  The running code (7.0.98.218) will

become the backup code.

2.  To be in the safe side, in the CLI, I will issue the command "config boot backup"

3.  In the GUI, I will click "download primary"

4.  Then I can check in the CLI how many APs have the new image "show ap image all"

5. .After all APs have the new image, in the GUI, I will click :interchange image"

6.  Then I can reboot the WLC

Regards,

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is correct. You can see the images also from the GUI under the wireless tab.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks again for the advices.

Regards,

No problem

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card