cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Flex Connect over Internet Access

sejamc71
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 5508 controllers. We are in the process of upgrading to a vWLC 9800. Each of our sites is configured the same. We 2 circuits to each of our sites and managed via SDWAN. One of the circuits is an MPLS circuit back to our HQ and the other circuit is a direct Internet circuit. In the next year or so, we will be getting rid of the MPLS circuit to each site and instead will be getting an additional direct internet circuit.

Today, our remote sites are in a FlexConnect group. Those are configured to route all the traffic to the local management interface on the controller.

Each site has a checkpoint controller which is setup to route traffic back to the HQ location for on prem resources.

If we get rid of the MPLS circuit and instead have 2 direct internet circuits at each site, will I need to change our wireless infrastructure or will this still work in flexconnect mode as it is today?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I take it with the 2 direct internet links you are using SDWANs to do the VPN between the site and the HQ where the WLC lives.
As long as this is the case and the latency requirements of Flexconnect are still meet there will be no issues with this approach.

Technically you could test this by disconnecting the MPLS link at a site and seeing what happens with just the internet link if your current setup has the internet link doing a VPN back to the WLC office

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I take it with the 2 direct internet links you are using SDWANs to do the VPN between the site and the HQ where the WLC lives.
As long as this is the case and the latency requirements of Flexconnect are still meet there will be no issues with this approach.

Technically you could test this by disconnecting the MPLS link at a site and seeing what happens with just the internet link if your current setup has the internet link doing a VPN back to the WLC office

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you. The SDWANs do maintain the VPN connection between the sites. I want to test, but we are 24x7 so maintenance windows are few and far between. I may "trip over a cable" on Thanksgiving or Xmas and see if it works.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card