cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC HA Redundancy port

Pete Bauer
Level 1
Level 1

Can I setup a 5508 pair of controllers as an HA pair if they're geographically located in different data centers?  From the reading I'm doing, it looks like the redundant port needs to be physically plugged in between the two or am I miss reading?

Thanks,

Pete

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Peter,

Yes you can have 2 WLCs on different location as long as you can connect them physically by a cable to redundant port.

Normally its called 1:1 design where one WLC will be in an Active state and the second WLC will be in a Hot Standby state continuously monitoring the health of the Active WLC via a Redundant Port. 
Port which should be connected back to back in order to synchronize the configuration from the Active to the Standby WLC.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Peter,

Yes you can have 2 WLCs on different location as long as you can connect them physically by a cable to redundant port.

Normally its called 1:1 design where one WLC will be in an Active state and the second WLC will be in a Hot Standby state continuously monitoring the health of the Active WLC via a Redundant Port. 
Port which should be connected back to back in order to synchronize the configuration from the Active to the Standby WLC.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Gotcha.  Our data centers are located miles apart and I couldn't facilitate a 1:1 physical connection so it doesn't sound like that will be a workable solution.

I appreciate the quick reply.

Thanks,

Pete

Our data centers are located miles apart and I couldn't facilitate a 1:1 physical connection so it doesn't sound like that will be a workable solution.

You can but not easy.  The RP needs to be connected on a direct link.  If you've got two sites and you have, for example, money to use a dedicated point-to-point fibre optic cable then you can use a media converter to link the two RP together.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card