cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC license question

bravotom99
Level 1
Level 1

We have two 7510 WLC's and a bunch of AP's.  I want to make sure I understand the license impact of what we are trying to do.  Our AP's will not be up at all times and it's impossible to know when these AP's will be connected and booted up.  They may be on for 2 days and then off for a month before booting up again.  The question I have is once an AP registers to a WLC, is that license 'locked' and used regardless of whether the AP is up or not?

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the licensing is only used when the AP is up and connected to the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

vikasyad
Level 1
Level 1

The license depends on the number  of AP's connected concurrently at a particular moment on the  Wlc.Although when number of active sessions are considered, its flush  time is more and can store all the AP's information connected but are  currently down.

So it once AP is registerd and its up, for that AP license will be  consumed.Hence licensing depends on the number of active devices  currently connected.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree with Steve and Vikas.

The WLC calculates the license for currently connected APs. The AP that joins the WLC consumes the 1 space in the WLC license once it is connected. Once it is disassociated you can simply bring another different AP and connect it.

Same way, if you have a license for 100 APs, it is possible that you connect 100 APs then remove them and bring different 100 APs and they should join without a prblem.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card