Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC list config of disconnected AP

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

hi guys

please can anybody advise how to list a configuration of AP which get disconnected from WLC point of view? Usually I am listing configuration of particular AP using the way: "Wireless" -> Access points -> All APs -> use filter/select for specific AP to get the configuration.

but this list shows only APs which are registered to WLC. I would like to see config of AP which is now disconnected, but was configured on this WLC before. how can I do that?

controllers: 5520, 5508,2504,WS-SVC-WISM2-K9

SW version:  8.5.135.0

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

WLC does not show this. WLC only shows live Access Points. 

This requires Cisco Prime.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

WLC does not show this. WLC only shows live Access Points. 

This requires Cisco Prime.

Hi Flavio

thanks for response, right, I can see them in PI. but anyway it is strange that I cant see config details for AP which definitely has its own record created in WLC directly from WLC.

Capwap tunnel is what allows the WLC to pull information from Access Point, if the tunnel is down, there´s no way to get this information. As the WLC does not stores does config fot futher consult, you lost those information as soon as the tunnel goes down.

That´s why Cisco Prime is so important, in my opinion. 

if the AP configuration is not stored locally, then your explanation completely makes sense. I thought it is stored locally (fixed IP, AP group, flexconnect group, ...). thank you Flavio for your time spent on this topic :)

robdowson
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the old reply but seems to be a common question for these 5520s and this is the first post that comes up and at least confirms that I'm not missing an obvious way to see this.

I found from another post that you can actually view some of the APs which are not currently connected by looking at the AP join statistics (Monitor -> Statistics -> AP Join - Filter for 'Join Status' "Not joined") which will show APs that are not currently connected - but if the stats get cleared or the WLC reboots then that is presumably lost.

Strange that you need Prime to see such basic info though.

What I don't understand though is this - does the WLC really not keep a list of which APs it has configured or seen in the past? Once an AP joins and you set it up and give it a name and assign it to an AP group etc - then surely that must be stored in the WLC somewhere - so you would think it could tell you about all the APs it knows about - both online and ones are currently offline - and then it can give them the name/group when they rejoin? Unless that config is stored on the APs rather than on the WLC? I wonder if for instance you reset an AP to factory defaults, would pick up it's original name/group when it re-joined?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card